bbsengine.org was founded in ~2002 with the idea to provide an open-source web application framework.
- most distros that are posix-compliant. currently using centos6 with success
- Apache httpd 2.2.x: standard centos6 install
- Postgresql 11.x, but may work with earlier versions
- PHP 5.6.x
- LICENCE for bbsengine4 files: LGPLv2
- make note of information in the INSTALL.txt file.
- if upgrading from a previous snapshot, check the UPGRADE.txt file for additional information.
- bbsengine requires PEAR. this should not be a problem for modern distributions of PHP, including the default rpms for redhat8 and above. see http://pear.php.net/
- bbsengine has been tested and works perfectly with apache 2.2.x, which is the default for redhat8 and above.
- smarty templates
- be sure to create a templates_c directory, and permission it such that the webserver user has write permission
- note that there is an "htaccess" file in the "html" directory that you should look at for some examples of possible mod_rewrite rules, but their use is *not* strictly necessary.
- this code is not perfect. if you have ideas, suggestions, or patches and you are constructrive, please contact me.
- for the most part everything that is output to the browser is via a smarty3 template. the only thing that is in the php that might need to be modified/translated are the error messages. I don't currently have a good way to solve this other than a file with translation strings.
- support: jonez on oftc and freenode irc